Sanitation FAQs

Below are some of the most Frequently Asked Questions about Garbage, Recycling, and Yard Waste.

Q:  How do I dispose of non-rechargeable, standard, alkaline batteries (AAAA, AAA, A, C, D, or 9-volt)?
A:  These batteries can be disposed of in the regular trash bin.  No special care or handling is needed.

Q:  How do I dispose of an empty aerosol can?
A:  As long as they are empty, an aerosol spray bottle can be thrown in a regular trash bin.  Do not recycle.

Q:  Is there a list of materials considered Hazardous Household Waste (or HHW)?
A:  Escambia County maintains a list of HHW materials at on the MyEscambia Household Hazardous Waste Program Website

Q:  Where would I dispose of used Electronics?
A:  Escambia County collects HHW and Electronics during their quarterly Regional Roundups.  More information can be obtained by visiting the MyEscambia Household Hazardous Waste Program Website for dates.

Q:  Where can I dispose of needles and/or other Bio-medical Waste products?
A:  The Florida Department of Health requires needles be placed in a non-permeable container prior to disposal.  The County offers disposal through the Household Hazardous Waste Program.  Contact the County for more information at (850) 937-2160.